Since 1960, we have led the effort to protect access, value and quality of higher education in Wisconsin.
UNITED COUNCIL IS THE STATEWIDE STUDENT ASSOCIATION FOR THE UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN SYSTEM REPRESENTING STUDENTS FROM CAMPUSES ACROSS THE ENTIRE STATE OF WISCONSIN. UNITED COUNCIL IS A NON-PROFIT, NON-PARTISAN ORGANIZATION THAT LOBBIES, ADVOCATES, AND ORGANIZES ON HIGHER EDUCATION ISSUES AT THE CAMPUS, STATE, AND NATIONAL LEVEL.
WE STRIVE TO REPRESENT ALL STUDENTS IN THE UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN SYSTEM. WE ADVOCATE FOR OURSELVES ON ISSUES OF HIGHER EDUCATION PERTAINING TO THE QUALITY OF THE STUDENT EXPERIENCE VIA EDUCATING AND ENHANCING THE PARTICIPATION OF STUDENTS IN SHARED GOVERNANCE (OUR STATE SANCTIONED RIGHT TO IMAGINE AND FORM CHANGE ON UNIVERSITIES IN REGARDS TO OUR EXPERIENCES.)
WE IDENTIFY INJUSTICE INCURRED WITHIN THE UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN SYSTEM AND WORK COLLABORATIVELY IN PARTNERSHIP WITH ALL IMPACTED COMMUNITIES AND THOSE WITH DECISION MAKING POWER TO RESTORE JUSTICE. IT IS THROUGH A RESTORATIVE JUSTICE FRAMEWORK THAT THIS CAN BE ACHIEVED.
What We've Achieved
- Wisconsin's sexual assault statutes to include alcohol as an intoxicant.
- Both student seats on the Board of Regents.
- "Michelle's Law" allowing students to retain health insurance if they drop below full-time enrollment due to illness.
- Tuition Remission for Wisconsin Veterans.
- A UW- Colleges tuition freeze for an unprecedented third year in a row.
- Increases in financial aid that effectively freeze tuition for all students from families making less than $60,000.
- Preventing the passing of the Badger Partnership in its entirety.
- Ensuring that students' rights to legal representation in non-academic conduct hearing are upheld.
- Increase in financial aid funding by $20 m. in the 09-11 Biennial Budget.
- Domestic Partnership Benefits for UW System Employees.
- 'Wisconsin Dream Act' allowing certain undocumented students in Wisconsin to attend the UW System at in-state tution levels.
- Rights for UW System faculty and staff to collectively bargain.